Monday, November 30, 2009

How old are you? by Steve Anderson

In tough times like these it helps to laugh. I can remember one time I was reading my daughter, Molly, a story in bed. She was a really cuddly kid. As we lay there on her bed, I got all choked up because I felt so lucky to be her father. After I gathered myself, I said, "Molly, one day when you grow up and move away I'm really going to miss these times."

She paused for a moment and said, "Oh, don't worry Dad." I thought that the next thing that she was going to say was that she would come home and visit me after she moved away, so I said, "Why?" And she said in the sweetest voice you can imagine, "You'll be dead!" I died laughing.

2 comments:

  1. Kids are just wonderful, aren't they? My grandma died a couple of months ago, my kids were with my sister on the other side as my grandma's coffin was being lowered into the ground. I was bawling my eyes out along with everyone else. My kids ran to me and stroked my hair and whispered comfortingly, "Don't cry Mommy, it's okay. Life's like that. We all die anyway." I didn't know whether to laugh or cry at that time. I didn't know that my aunt, uncle and cousins who were beside me heard them and had exactly the same reaction. Kids. Gotta love 'em.

    So glad to see you now have a blog Steve. Say hi to Charlisa for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great comment. Yes, kids just say what they think. they are so real it is disarming. Thanks for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete